- 1 cup finely grated carrots (squeeze out the excess moisture before using)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (if you don't have it, you can substitute light brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 tsp. apple pie spice (I used pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 tsp. ground ginger (powder)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (I used pecan pieces)
Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350ºF.
Spray 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. I like to line the pan with parchment paper, not only does it make for an easy clean up, but when the bread is cooled, you can lift it out using the parchment paper!
In a large bowl, combine carrots, applesauce, eggs, coconut sugar, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla; stir with a whisk until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, pie spice, ginger, baking soda, and salt; stir to combine. Add dry ingredients to the bowl with wet ingredients and stir until JUST combined (do not over-mix).
Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan and sprinkle walnuts overtop. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes on the middle rack, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. (If you're using a 9x5 inch pan, check the bread closer to 40-45 minutes.)
Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely before slicing into.