- 1 cup couscous, whole wheat or regular
- 1 cup of mixed dried fruits coarsely chopped (dried apricots, blueberries, cranberries, dates, raisins)
- 1/2 cup of mixed nuts, chopped (almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds)
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, reserving 1 of the lemon halves
- Handful of fresh parsley and mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tbs. paprika
- 1/2 tbs. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Put the couscous, your choice of dried fruits, your choice of mixed nuts, the zest from the orange and lemon and juices and the chopped fresh herbs into a medium sized bowl. Add the olive oil and water and mix well.
Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the couscous and press it in tight. Use one of the lemon halves to block the cavity and keep the couscous from spilling out while cooking. You will have leftover couscous and you can put it on a double sheet of aluminum foil that has been sprayed lightly with a cooking spray or rubbed with some olive oil. Fold the foil to make a packet and place in the roasting pan alongside the chicken.
Put the spices in a small bowl and mix together with a drop of water to form a paste. Rub all over the skin of the chicken.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the chicken is done. When the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven, discard the lemon half and let rest for at least 5 minutes. Remove the couscous before carving.