How Many Samples are Too Many?
Do you get tempted by all the food samples that are not only in Costco and food stores, but in other retail stores too???
Years ago (at least 15) we were in Florida and shopping at Costco one day. Costco is notorious for their samples and that day the store was giving away samples of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. The samples were not just a small spoonful in a paper cup, but slivers of cake! I had 1, then went back for a 2nd, then sent my kids to get me a few more…I was so out of control! Has this ever happened to you?
Are you noticing that now, right before the holidays, samples of chocolates, cheese, cakes, crackers, loads of other stuff, even wine, are showing up everywhere? And if you’re trying to stay mindful and watch what you’re eating, you know how 1 taste, leads to a 2nd, and a 3rd….
So here I was, in a Williams Sonoma Store and came across a huge glass candy jar filled with their famous peppermint bark. First thing I did was text my kids to tell them of these goodies and then I took 2 little pieces, put it in a napkin and left the store.
Is this will power? It definitely wasn’t ‘want’ power because I did WANT MORE! But, one thing that I learned over the years is that the more that you practice things, the easier habits become. Years ago, when I lost weight, I never allowed myself to be on a ‘diet’. I was mindful, made choices but I’ve always told myself that I can have anything, and nothing is forbidden. It took a while, but I finally believed that and it helps to keep me mindful and make better choices.
Don’t get me wrong, I have taken a 2nd Hershey Kiss, but I’ve come up with 5 strategies to help me not overindulge:
- #1. Don’t go shopping when hungry! This doesn’t only apply for groceries, but especially holiday time when there’s many opportunities for stores to entice you with goodies so you shop there 🙂
- #2. Don’t tell yourself that you ‘don’t need it’ or else you’ll want it more!
- #3. If you’re going to indulge, make sure that it’s something that you would really enjoy, and not just eating it for the sake of it being available and there.
- #4. Take 1 piece, 2 the most and leave.
- #5. Get rid of any guilt and just go about your day and eat mindful.
Do you have a weakness for food samples?
I’d love to hear about it, so please share in the comments below!