Serves 4-8 people
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 tbs. butter, divided (I used coconut oil)
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk (I used 1% milk)
- 2 tbs. flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet and saute the asparagus and chopped onion until tender, about 7-8 minutes. When ready, set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate with the remaining butter, sprinkle the bottom with the shredded Parmesan cheese and set aside.
Combine the eggs, milk, flour, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until there are no lumps. Add the cooked asparagus, onions and cheddar cheese to the egg mixture and mix well.
Pour into prepared pie shell and bake on the bottom rack in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the egg is set.