Yields about 10 cups
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 apples (you can use a mix of Macintosh, red and green), peeled and cubed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- Optional: yogurt and toasted almond slices for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat until warm. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the butternut squash and sweet potato and stir for 10 minutes, until softened.
Add the chopped apples, vegetable stock, water and spices. Stir until all combined, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let simmer for 30 – 40 minutes.
When cool, purée the soup with a hand held immersion blender or in a blender until smooth. This soup can be frozen, but will thicken as it thaws and may need additional water or stock added to it when reheated.
Add a swirl of yogurt and a sprinkle of toasted almond slices before serving.