Are you struggling to get back into your ‘Healthy Mode’ now that holidays are over?
If you do, you are not alone! It’s normal to feel like this once your routine has been interrupted by holidays, time off from work, school break, friends and family gatherings and lots of social eating.
I ALWAYS struggle once I am home from vacation. It’s true. But over the years I have come to terms and really believe that I am NOT on a DIET and there’s no such thing as ‘BAD’ foods. And that helps me get back on track!
I want to share with you my top 10 strategies that I give my clients and that I use as well, in order to help get you back in the ‘groove’ and back into better eating habits.
1. Eat Real Food. Healing begins in the mind, but how we feel physically, helps us to move forward. When your body feels in check and not sluggish, it’s easier to make better choices.
For optimal nutrition and staying power:
Choose less often foods that come in a box, are store bought, in a take out container and are processed.
Choose more often fresh, whole, clean foods.
2. Plan your grocery list and include an assortment of fruits, veggies, protein sources, whole grains, dairy, healthy fats etc.
3. Prep. Intentions may be there, but unless you go the distance and put in the time to prep, it’s not going to happen. If you have no time, buy fruit and veggies that are already cut up. Buy a barbequed chicken or a protein choice that’s already cooked and add your fresh, homemade side dishes to it.
4. Plan at least 3 dinner meals.
5. Not All Fats are Created Equal. Your body needs fats, but healthy ones. Use olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, salmon, nuts, but mind your portions! Try to choose 2% or 4% over foods that have 0% foods and contain ingredients that you can’t pronounce.
6. Keep fresh fruit on the counter, store treats away (for now). Out of sight, out of mind!
7. Don’t skip meals. Nothing good can come out of it. Eating meals at regular intervals leads to a better metabolism and rhythm for your body. It also helps your body get into a habit of recognizing the feeling of fullness and can help ward off over indulging!
8. Eat from ALL the food groups.
9. Go for a brisk walk or hit the gym. You’ll feel better about yourself and it will put you in a better mood since you will feel energized!
10. Hydrate! Drink plenty of water to get your digestive system on its way back on track.
Be positive and know that you can do this. Take it one meal at a time and remind yourself that this is for healthy lifestyle changes. It’s not about being on a diet, it’s about being mindful and feeling good about yourself. If you believe it, you CAN and WILL do it 🙂
As always, I would love to hear from you!
Please share what you do in order to get back in the groove in the comments below:)